Sunday, February 1, 2015

yay us

You, my love, just wrote our 1500th post!  We are good! I feel like singing the song from Grease - hopelessly devoted to you!!

Yay us!

Do unto others has always been my favorite rule of thumb.  And you are right, it does assume that we love ourselves.  I had that flash of insight that perhaps many of us treat others the way we believe we should be treated. It always comes back to worthiness and connection.

I don't know what will finally work with your older son.  I don't know what he is hiding from.  I know you can't just ask him. He either does not know, or he won't talk about it.  I remember at one point you asked him if anything happened, he said no...but I wondered what would have happened if Mom had asked you if anything ever happened with your brothers...You probably would have answered with a quick no. Can you imagine any scenario in which you would have trusted her and opened up to her?  Maybe you could work with that when trying to discover the root of your son's discomfort with the world. Why is he in such pain?

I liked the SPICES reminder...I usually only think SPICE, though.  Which is your favorite testimony?  I'll tell you mine tomorrow.

I wanted to share a little of my internal madness. This week I saw a question I have been considering ever since...Why do Adam and Eve have belly buttons in every painting ever done of them?  I laughed, knowing it was a jibe at the creationists.  But then I though about Adam and his fig leaf, and Eve with her leaf bikini. I started wondering just how long we have been so uncomfortable with our genitalia and with the power of breasts.

Then I saw an article noting that vegans have begun drinking human breast milk.  Really?  All I could think was that for every drop some adult got, an infant was being deprived. 

I used to help a friend at farmers market. I spent a lot of time people watching.  I saw two types of young families. One was the proud parents with the pram, fully loaded with cushy toys and mobiles and things.  I saw babies perched in solitary splendor with a mobile above them and a pacifier in their mouth.  Then I saw earthier families, one of the parents wearing the baby in a sling of some sort. No toys, just the breast and the parent's presence.

I started seeing why we have so many things. Too often we prove we care by givinga gift.  I see it with my youngest.She is working long hours and has less time with her daughter. So she gets her new things. The baby is learning to be excited by things. 

The roots of consumerism.

And now...now...there is a new movement.  Moms are pumping for their babies, but feeding them with bottles.  We don't know how to share ourselves without a gadget between us anymore.  It's like a texted relationship.

I'm feeling old...

I'll be back tomorrow. How are you? Did you get over the flu? Are you getting more snow? We are!

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment