Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mardi Gras

Clare,

Good Morning. Lot to think about.

I was able to sleep in this morning, we have another snow day. As I was coming down to do yoga I saw the most beautiful sight. The snow, really ice particles at this point were floating gently through the air, through the tree branches, onto the pure white piles of snow. It is magical. It is breathtakingly beautiful. I wish I could capture it on video…
but then I'd want to post it to make it real for all of my virtual friends.

As I drove to work yesterday I listened to an NPR program discussing the neurobiology of digital media use. It sounds dry, but it was fascinating. She talked about each person's need to individualize. To make themselves real. She considered that in the past we used to drive our own imaginations- make up games, construct fantasies in our brains, and then play them out. We developed those parts of our brain that make us unique. Now, with video games and computer entertainment available constantly, we allow their script to entertain us, to engage our imaginations. Are we going to be able to find our strengths and weaknesses in this environment? Her message was about balanced use, technology as a tool, not allowing it to consume too much of our time and energy.

So today is Mardi Gras. I am not sure if I am going to observe any lenten sacrifices. Even though I no longer consider myself Catholic, I still feel drawn to a lenten sacrifice. Something to remind me of my need for relationship with the Divine on a daily basis, more acutely than other times of the year. I have to think of something to nurture that relationship.

Today's Agreement is the third- Never Make Assumptions. I find this really interesting because we take a lot of the poison that others have gifted us with and project it onto others around us.
We assume we know what people are thinking.
We assume we know what they want or need.
We assume that we know everything about them and then we judge them-harshly generally.
We dissipate our discomfort onto those who surround us.

That's enough for today.
I have my annual GYN visit today. I am a little anxious because last year this was the visit that started the cancer ball rolling. This was when I first asked for the genetic testing.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment