Monday, February 23, 2015

mushrooms

Hi Maggie,

I remember being very, very young, maybe 4 years old, and thinking that if I had been born in Grandma's time, life would have been easier.  I was a strange child.

Maybe we all have a bit of pioneer in us. We certainly have the intelligence to pick and choose among the technology shoved in our face.  There are homesteaders, even now. We can just say no to so many things, things we willingly accept as normal, then necessary!

How would your youngest feel about something like kick-boxing, beating the crap out of a punching bag?

I hated school. I hated every day of it. I hated the system, the grades, the artificial competition. I hated the cliques and the bullying, the being on the outside - from kids I didn't really even like.  B#2's long-time girlfriend used to get groups to laugh at me, making sure I knew I was not as good as they were. I didn't really care, but it still hurts...those mixed feelings we carry around!

I always wished they knew how absolutely uninterested I was in being anything like them.

I understand your son...

And I don't know  what the answer is.  I had no choice.  I went to school every day, just counting off time until I could be real.

And with him and prior abuse, there's a good chance he doesn't remember. We bury things like that.  It's how we survive, especially in Delana-land.

About four years ago we had a huge windstorm here.  A gigantic old maple fell and damaged part of the roof of the house my son was living in.  Since they didn't burn wood, they asked if I wanted it.I lived about 1/3 miles away.  So they dragged it up the road with their sister's truck. (Don't tell her, though...) We cut and split a lot of it, but there are some immense trunks still in my backyard, breaking down.  They are getting too old to burn, and so, I think I am going to ask if they can, using their own trucks, pull the pieces to the shady side of the shed - so I can have my backyard back!  But also so I can try to grow some mushrooms.

That will be a first for me.

I will also plant the usuals - peas, carrots, radishes, beans, squash, beets, etc.  I also want to try some unusual herbs - those suited for our climate, but more usually found in Asia.

Kids are home...gotta run...

Love and hugs,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment