Tuesday, February 17, 2015

fauschnaught day

Hmmmm...I see it a bit differently. If you would have videotaped the magic of this morning, rather than share a real moment with virtual friends, I think you would have rendered a real moment virtual. You would not have stopped and been filled with awe at the beauty of the moment. You would have separated yourself from the moment, put a camera between you and a real moment.

Rather than Mardi Gras, here we had Fauschnaught Day. I made a big pot of lentil soup and lots and lots of donuts.  Then we had about 17 people in and out to help polish off the sweets.  It was a fun day with lots of kid noise and laughter.  I got to see old friends, and one even insisted I leave the stove and come sit and chat.

When my kids were young, we always did this. As the boys approached adolescents, they started having donut eating contests. It was disgusting, but leaves such sweet memories.  My daughter-in-law was cooking with me today, and I wondered if the tradition would continue without me, after I pass.

Lent...it has been years since I stopped to consider a church calendar.  But...

I have to admit, I have been sugar/flour binging.  Today was the last day of that.  So maybe that is my Lent, although I hope to continue forever - not just 40 days.  I have been reading some works of a woman who is discovering that binge eating/overeating is a chemically caused mental illness. It is an addiction caused by food additives.  Her suggestion is to not eat anything that needs an ingredients label.  I think I may try that for Lent and beyond.

Since I have been eating poison, I feel what I used to feel - heartburn, tiredness, headaches...my complexion is grey.  This is so not worth it.  But on the other hand, I had no idea how good I have been feeling.  Now I remember why I wanted to quit...

Laely, when I get tired, and tired of this really intense winter, I chant...just a few more weeks. We'll be at the beach. There will be sunshine!

How did your appointment go?

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment