Thursday, March 5, 2015

why zebras don't get ulcers

Clare,

Cortisol is the "king of the hormones"…
if cortisol isn't balanced, nothing works properly.
Cortisol has some amazing properties…
sugar doesn't really increase cortisol…
cortisol makes you crave fats and sugar to feed the fight-flight-freeze cascade in the body.
There is a great book, Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers that discusses all of this in a very accessible way.
See if you can get your hands on it, if not, I'll send you my copy.

I believe that we are dependent upon feeding our fight or flight when we constantly worry, are hyper-vigilant, catastrophize, and generally make ourselves crazy. I'm not sure if it's the adrenaline (epinephrine), noradrenaline (norepinephrine) or cortisol that we crave. I have a feeling it's the adrenaline and noradrenaline and the cortisol is there as part of the cascade. It is difficult for me to tease out what the actual addiction is to…or perhaps a combination of all of the above's complex interactions.

It is snowing, again. I'm glad I'm not driving south today. I hope that the weather breaks and next week is sunny and calm. Going south to winter weather isn't exactly what I had in mind. But, I'll take whatever comes along. I'm really looking forward to a few days of relaxing and laughing with sisters. I need a break from my boys and husband and this is the perfect opportunity. Walking, biking, cooking, drinking wine, watching the dolphins and the stars…it will all be good.

I don't have much to say today. I am calmer. My sons are settled for the moment. We are still having battles with the younger, but the more consistent we are the less he pushes.
Last evening the older one said," You know, if I keep up on my work this cyber-thing is much better than real school." I hope he continues to think that and keep doing a little everyday.

I hope that all is well with your kids. Is your youngest getting nervous about surgery yet?

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment