Monday, March 30, 2015

detach

Hello My Sister!

I'm still hoarse, but recovering. But I'm starting to get a cold sore. I know my resistance is ridiculously low.  I am still tired.

I had the baby with me this afternoon. We went outside and she fell in the mud.  She looked like a perfectly happy, perfectly healthy, grubby little kid. I loved it!

I think detachment is being in your heart chakra and trusting that whatever is supposed to happen will happen.  It's letting go of the reins, and the need to direct everything.

I have learned that the best gifts in life are the things I never saw coming.  And if we had to direct our lives, to choose the events we experience, when and how we want them - well, then we would miss the coolest, most magical moments of our life. Those are the little gifts that catch you unaware. 

To be detached is healthy. I remember one of my best teachers was a friend who married at the same time as I did.  A whole group of us graduated around the same time, then got married and started having kids. This young woman married someone who was an old friend of my ex's.  My ex has always joked around a lot. He was doing something strange one day and this young woman rolled her eyes and made a comment that I think was supposed to embarrass me.  I think maybe I was supposed to keep him in line, or some such.  I remember consciously retreating, sitting back and watching him.  Okay - maybe strange, but definitely not offensive.  I realized that he didn't know what she thought, he probably wouldn't care what she thought, and it was no reflection on me, nor was it my responsibility to change him.  I just started letting it all go...until one day I had my oldest and two of her friends out in public.  They were dressed strangely, okay - bizarrely...

One of her friends came to talk to me, to ask me a question, and I think I may have linked arms with her, ready to go see what she was talking about.  She stopped and asked, "You mean, you don't mind being seen with me?  My mom makes me walk far away from her when I dress like this."

Detach.  I love the kids, no matter what they are doing, or how they appear.  And I love them whether I approve of their choices.

I'm still not sure if it's our strengths or weaknesses that connect us - an argument can be made for each. And sometimes one's weakness matches another's strengths.  I have been thinking about this. I think it will stay on my mind for awhile...

Our yearly meeting has a monthly newspaper.  The edition I received last week addresses Quakers and other faiths.  One article,written by someone I know, addresses being both Quaker and Buddhist.  Another was written by someone who is both actively Catholic and Quaker.  It seems we can find commonly understood language in many places at once...

I hope you are well...love and hugs...  Missing you,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment