Thursday, March 12, 2015

Memories

Now I get to sing "Dancing with Myself."  My sisters are on their way south, to warmer temperatures.

But, my daughter's surgery went well.  Now begins the process of healing.  I had the baby overnight. She is home now, for a few hours, but will be back for dinner and another overnight.

It's kind of fun to have a baby again.  It reminds me of when I was young.

Yesterday when I took her fo a walk, I stood up straight and tucked my shoulders back and my butt in.  I imagined tucking up my saggy chin.  It seemed like youthening was a possibility!  And I decided what I will do this year.  Last year it was no sugar/no meat.  The no meat lasted until it got cold outside.  I guess I am a seasonal vegetarian.  I'll stop again in May. But this year I am going to stop eating all processed foods.  Everything I eat will have to be in a recognizable natural form.

I have been thinking about the unprocessed life a lot.

I have also been thinking about memory.  I know when something traumatic happens we can absolutely forget it. We can wall it off someplace safe and never acknowledge it again. We can also revise our memories.  And now I find we can create and place new memories.

And I wonder...I knew a man who was trouble in high school.  To "fix" him, he was forced into the military. He was a Marine at 17 or 18 years old.  He was made a sniper.  Talk about PTSD.  He was in bad shape.  I was wondering.  What if we erased and replaced his memories of killing people.  Would that be gone?  Like it never happened?  Or would it be like repressed memories, in that haunted room we avoid in our mind?

I'm still reading The Omnivore's Dilemma.  Next I'll read my sister's Zebra book and be back on trying to understand - are we addicted to cortisol???

For now - time to make dinner. 

Hope you all have a marvelous time at the beach.  S#3 promised to drink a toast to me!  Make it a good one.

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment