Friday, March 13, 2015

simplified

So, my sisters are safe on the island.  The photos look beautiful - just the way I remember.

I got to spend time with my daughter today.  It was good to see her and be with her.

What I was thinking...is that...during this whole procedure, I have been in charge of the baby. Boyfriend has been remarkable, staying with my daughter, talking to the doctors, being supportive, changing diapers, even.  And I realized that she doesn't need to talk to me every day anymore. When she was with the father of the baby, she checked in every single day.  He used to berate her for wanting her mommy.  I think she almost needed to let someone know she was allright, she survived another day. Now she doesn't need to call in every single day.

Being a parent has it's sucky aspects.  If you do a good job, they don't need you any more.  And I think she has found her family.  I remember thinking about how we left Mom and Dad, then how our kids leave us.  It seems our spouse is our family.  I think she found hers...

I'm sort of done. I have been through empty nest trauma.  Occasionally a feather wiggles to tease me, to remind me...

I saw a blog today that explored rape and consent. It seems a lot of men can't tell what constitutes consent.  So a young woman simplified it by comparing it to a cup of tea. If you offer someone a cup of tea and they say they would love a cup...that is consent. But if someone is not sure, or changes her mind, or has to be talked into taking the tea - coercion.  That is not consent.  And no one may ever, under any circumstances, pour the tea down the throat of someone who is sleeping or unconscious.

Simple!

I hope you are all having a wonderful time...missing you!

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment