Wednesday, March 4, 2015

understanding stress

Clare,

You are correct stress causes disease (dis-ease) and aging and a myriad of problems. I give a talk called Stress= Dis-Ease and touch on cortisol abnormality. It seems that too much cortisol is present during stress, but there comes a time when the adrenal shuts down and the levels get quite low and don't fluctuate in the presence of a stressor. This can even be passed from parent to child, some studies have shown. So, it is not surprising that your cortisol axis (Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis) is screwed up. Depression is one of the mental health issues associated with abnormal HPA function, as is anxiety. The connection between bipolar and eu/dis-stress is accurate.
I wrote a draft of an article today. As I was giving this talk last week I started to think about Harriet Tubman, the Underground Railroad, and her courage to go back to help others. There is a body of research that shows that people who pursue social work are wounded/traumatized at a much higher prevalence than average. So I wrote about social workers being analogous to Harriet Tubman- as she saved slaves- social workers go back into the swamp of trauma to bring other souls through it. I have most of the ideas written, now I have to shape it to say what I want it to mean.

I don't have the official reading on my bone scan yet, but husband's report is that the heel pain is most likely a stress fracture, there are no suspicious areas in my body, but I have some arthritis beginning in assorted places. That is all good news. I still have pain in my heel, but I am not fretting over the possibility of a recurrence.

We are supposed to get a 24 hour snowfall, so I stopped at the store on the way home and bought a lot of yarn. I've been making scarves since I cannot exercise. I think everyone will receive one for Christmas next year.

So, I agree with the ways to balance your cortisol…self-care is very important. Meditation, rest, good food, water, doing enjoyable activities are all important. It's the only thing that will make it better balanced.

Love and Light beautiful Sister,
Maggie




No comments:

Post a Comment