Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Working together

I wanted to go back to the idea of an intervention.
It does seem as if you hi-jack the other person…
taking away their reasoning ability…
I guess the assumption is that they've lost that ability…
temporarily.
I think that would be a mistake in this case.
I think that my son/sons have to find their way to help because they understand consequences.
One of the things I am coming to realize is that I can tell stories and facts, research and anecdotes…
and they think I am full of crap.
They have to understand/experience consequences.

I have pointed out the boundaries that have been crossed already…because of pot…
deception…failing to tell the truth…outright lying
failure to do do homework/schoolwork…to the point of failing
picking up spare change around the house…taking money out of purses/wallets…spending money meant for one thing on pot
attempting to make me question my own sanity/paranoia…
failing to respect authority…
sneaking out of the house without permission or against directives not to leave...

I do understand that pot is probably not addictive.
I also understand that their behaviors and attitudes have changed since they started smoking…
and not for the better.
If there is any improvement, perhaps my youngest's temper is less violent…
but I am not certain that is so.
I also understand that young people need to establish habits and gain skills for life/work during these teen years…
my sons' work ethic sucks right now…
as long as they're having fun all is right in the world.

So, while I understand that we will weather this storm…most likely…
I also want them to use these years wisely…
I don't want them playing catch up when they realize how far behind they are…
or never bothering to notice they are lost.

Today was a better day. It snowed so they came home 2.5 hours after school started. I was really frustrated by this. I just wanted a few hours to myself to process all of the weekend's events. I did the best that I could do…
I made soup and sweet rolls…
a pot of carrot soup, a pot of cabbage soup, and two pans of sweet rolls.
My older son actually helped me with the sweet rolls…
it was great to have him work along side of me…
instead of against me.
When I told him I wanted to make the sweet rolls he said,"Wow, I didn't think you even liked me." Sweet rolls are a special event in our house. Probably even more special than birthday cake. I traditionally make them on Christmas and Easter. I rarely make them at other times…
so much so that it becomes a big deal…
I am really glad that we made them together today.

That's it for today.
Love and Light,
Maggie





No comments:

Post a Comment