Friday, January 31, 2014

Different perspectives

I like that you listen to that voice within, and take time to explore and reflect.  It seems to be a good leading, an authentic leading.

I also like that we are telling stories from another perspective.  The first that I read and truly loved was Beauty by Robin McKinley.  It is a retelling, or a novelization of Beauty and the Beast - one of my all time favorite fairy tales.  She inspired me to write the Cinderella story from the perspective of the salamander who was turned into a horse.  That was fun, but I lost it years ago.  When they kids were little, I wrote a lot.

So I started thinking about the witch's story.  A plot is developing, character and history are developing.  It's fun.  But, will I ever get it down on paper?  Always the question.

How did your sessions go today?  I spent time reading about and listening to lectures about poverty, as part of the course I am taking.  I have a few more lectures to listen to, then I have to write another essay.  This is challenging.  But I don't like the essay questions.  They sort of point us to predetermined answers, prevent anyone from thinking way outside the box.  I had a moment where I wondered if we were going to change the world or just put a bandaid on it and call it good.

I think you have seen the new private group on everybody's favorite social media, about the town where we went to school.  One of the questions asked about the party houses.  Our name came up.  And I was angry again at our parents for going away for the summer with their two precious babies and leaving your middle kids to fend for self.  You were all so unprotected.  I had this stray thought, about the boys feeling so cool, because the 'rents were gone.  But I felt something sad down deep, and I also wondered how they felt now, looking back.  Are they appalled?  Especially now that they all have raised kids.  Somehow it seems cool to have no guidance and rules.  But in reality, being adrift is difficult...and lonely...and terribly sad.

Rereading your musings about the way you will feel once you are clear and flexible, and I saw you singing.  Sing it out!  Maybe a song about a stone will emerge...

Kids coming tomorrow.  They don't know it yet, but we are going to have a crepes party, because that is what they do in France.  Oui! Oui!  I emailed the French couple who visited last summer and got some recipe ideas!

End of a long week.  This week felt like it had an extra day...weird!

Hugs and more hugs,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment