Wednesday, December 4, 2013

joy, love, peace, Presence…my morning meditation

It is interesting…
during the interview I was asked what type of client I would like to avoid…
I responded angry men…
they intimidate me.
I have trouble asserting myself in their presence and more importantly responding to their needs…
I jump into react/protect mode…
some things we may never shake.

I want to share several ideas from Frankl's book…
I think it speaks to our recurrent topic of suffering.
I cannot find the passage…
but it was Frankl's synthesis of his motivating principle of finding meaning in life…
he wrote that Freud believed that life and behavior was driven by pleasure…
Adler believed it to be motivated by acquisition of skills and/or achievements…
and Frankl came to believe that life and individual's behaviors are driven by a search for meaning…
I really like that…
it allows for many levels of achievement and maturation…
and validates each as a step to the next or as a place to rest, and live.
He writes, "Every man is confronted with fate, with the chance of achieving something through his own suffering."

This morning, I got up extra early- husband stepped in dog vomit- and had an extended period of meditation. I picked up Thomas Kelly's book, A Testament of Devotion, and randomly started to read. I read about the "fruits of the Spirit" which include: joy, love, peace, and Presence…
I think the Presence is Frankl's ultimate meaning of life…
that makes sense to me…
I will mentally work on this for some time to come.

He (Frankl) also speaks of love as the highest goal to aspire to, "The salvation of man is through love and in love."…I really like that thought…and it fits well with Kelly's message.

I am catching up with cleaning and laundry today. I had several days with no water pump so I am behind. I also had a sick dog at the same time. My big dog had 2 more seizures…which means incontinence…and she ate 6 sweet rolls which made her vomit for 36 hours…it has been a lot of fun trying to spot clean as I can. I think I am renting a carpet cleaner this afternoon to really get the areas clean.

I have no motivation to start Christmas shopping…I am even finding Christmas Carols to be tedious this year…I can't figure out if my spiritual center has shifted so much that I am letting go of the external holiday celebrations or if I am depressed…I am hoping for the former.

Love and Light,
Maggie




No comments:

Post a Comment