Monday, December 30, 2013

Human dignity and worth

I am sorry for your friend's depression…
I understand how bleak that can be…
I will hold her in the Light.
I am reminded of the TED talk when he said that during depression you see the world through a gray veil…thinking that for the first time in your life you are seeing the world as it really is…instead of recognizing how dark and negative everything is.

I appreciate your pointing out the good that I experienced this past week.
I did understand and recognize the silver linings in the holiday week…
that was what I meant by the "best of times, worst of times" quote…
but it makes it challenging to appreciate the good portion mixed in.
I am grateful for the blessings of time and growth that we had this past week…
it's just that the growing pains are tough.

I am trying to write a blog about 'hope' for my job…
it is difficult to maintain a positive perspective…
I keep sliding into hopelessness. I will continue to work on it.

I spent several hours observing in my new office today…
and am once again touched by the extent of trauma in our world.
Every client tells stories of interpersonal violation in their past…present…and most don't see an end in sight. Most are women who equate relationship with having to perform sexual acts to maintain the relationship and have no hope of being seen, known or understood.
Where is the hope in that?
It is like the middle-eastern idea that women are like earthen pots, once broken/used are no longer worth anything…
Why do we, as a species, devalue the others?
We choose a mate…
one to whom we are attracted…
and yet as soon as they are 'ours' we devalue them…
treat them as objects…
fail to see their dignity and inherent worth…
Why?

I am trying to remember back a few years, when husband and I were separated. I was dating a very kind and gentle man…but being pursued by 2 others…both who wanted to claim me…not for who I was…they didn't know me well enough to understand that…they were attracted and wanted to possess. Even the one that I chose to be with would occasionally put his arm around my shoulder and say "mine". I could feel myself tense up when he did that…I think he sensed it too, because he only did it a few times.
Why do we want to possess others?
Why do we fail to see the beauty and free spirit of each other?
Why do we want it, until we have it, and then we decide that it is no longer desirable?

I need to find a way to maintain personal emotional boundaries with this new job…
or I will be heartbroken every day.

I had to postpone my lunch date with S#3 because I am observing an initial consultation tomorrow. I am disappointed because I am really looking forward to talking with her. I will reschedule for next week. At least she responded to my text.

It is interesting that you heard from our youngest sister…inviting you to share next year. I did not. Nor did I get any Christmas cards from any of our siblings neither. I am not sure that they sent any, but it's the second year in a row, for no Christmas cards…kind of sad. I did receive a text from B#2 and I texted B#1 & 4…never heard anything from B#1. I couldn't find B#3's phone number…I will try to get him for New Years. I am just getting it off my chest...

Anyway, I am assuming that you will not be able to make it to the Sacred Contracts workshop this Saturday. If you can…fantastic. If not, husband is willing to take your place. I will let you know what you miss.

Love and Light,
holding your friend in the Light,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment