Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

You make an excellent point…we (as a society) don't respect the young…we (society) treat them as property until they are old enough to make their presence felt….and even then we (society) tries to silence them.

There are exceptions though…pockets where people love and cherish their young…I believe that you understood the magnificence of your children…I learned by watching others….your responsiveness, other siblings weren't as responsive to the true needs…but had lots of stuff around. I remember being told many times over to 'let them cry it out'…and laughed at the person…sometimes overtly laughing at them…They don't cry to manipulate you, they are telling you something…pay attention…instill the sense of security and attachment, even if the umbilical cord is no longer connected…so many of our problems stem from crappy parenting…and yet wounded people are having babies every day.

I had an interview yesterday…at a local counseling center. I need to gather some preliminary paperwork and then I can start. It felt like home to be there. The lead counselor was a gentle man, who asked questions that felt like he wanted to understand me, rather than test me…I felt respected and free to share my ideas…my experiences…and my lack of direct counseling experience. I am looking forward to it. It is only 5 minutes from home, which is closer than I have ever worked before. Also I am starting at 20 hours per week which allows me to continue to teach and write for NASW. I am excited. It took 6 months, but I think I found my next step.

I began reading Viktor Frankl's The Meaning of Life last evening, what powerful book. He is a psychiatrist who survived the concentration camps of WWII. He repeated a quote by Nietzsche, "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

How do we survive years of abuse and neglect…or torture…or imprisonment? Do children intuitively know that there is more to life…a purpose…that allows them to endure, and hope for a better future?

I am off and running…2 appointments this morning and then a service man is coming to fix my water pump.

I will check in tomorrow.
Love and Light,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment