Friday, December 13, 2013

A winter storm is upon us.

Hello Clare,

My final lecture is finished, projects are handed in, graded, in the grade book…I love checking things off my list. I had several students come to some very interesting conclusions through the project.
One, who had been smoking since they were 9 years old (now 31) quit smoking…
he made the comment that when he signed up for this gen-ed BiSci he didn't realize that it would change his life…that comment makes all of the hassles worthwhile.

Another took on his stress as a project…he was living through a difficult time because he had listened to his 'heart's voice' and went back to school…he opened himself up to a men's group and found relief in sharing his story.

Another broke a heavy 'pepsi' habit and described the incredible struggle she experienced trying to stay away from it…she told me that she had quit smoking a year before and that was easy compared with cola…

There were several who chose meditation and yoga as their healthier habit…they described an inner peace and being able to cope with stress and frustration more easily. It is amazing that people can discover this before they are 20 years old…think about how much further along they will be when they are my age.

It is amazing what one diligent week can do…and yet, how many will continue their new 'habit'? We are so easily pulled back into bad habits…I am not sure why or how that happens.

I finished my stress and disease lectures today. I described all of the health hazards of abuse and neglect…and painted a pretty negative picture. Then I told them that some people are productive and seem to have normal lives despite abuse. I shared with them that I am a survivor…and that my coping strategies included acquiring degrees and working/volunteering at as many activities as I could physically do. What ever takes your mind off the maltreatment is coping. Mine might have looked healthier than substance abuse, or other high risk behaviors…but it was driven by the same need to repress and escape…and I was equally as isolated as those who are 'coping ugly'. It gets easier every time to say that I am a survivor. I don't go into details…I simply say that I survived child abuse/sexual abuse. If anyone asked I would be honest and answer their questions, but so far no one has ever asked.

I also reminded them of the need to see more than the biology of humans and animals…
I reminded them that it is important to consider biology, psychology, sociology and spirituality when considering ourselves and others.

So, tomorrow a winter storm is forecast…calling for up to 10 inches of snow…and I am supposed to be walking 10 miles for Peace. I really hope that I am able to complete this walk. I have wanted to do this for several years, and finally had the courage and initiative to sign up. I have many layers of clothes laid out to keep me warm…I just hope the roads stay drivable.
I will let you know how it all goes…

Love and Light in this season of darkness,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment