Thursday, December 12, 2013

Alligator Mamas

I took a few minutes to read up on the alligator.  I had read in the past that  'gator is the symbol of the Great Mother.  I learned that after laying eggs, she guard the nest.  They babes begin chirping just before they hatch.  When she hears them, she carries them to the water.  If an egg doesn't hatch, she rolls it in her mouth until it begins opening.  She stays nearby and basks with them when they are young.

The piece went on to say that alligators were true loners.

I stopped to think about that.  Those of us who have been raised in violent situations tend to be loners.  Sometimes the most connected we are is with our young when they are young.  Maybe we are alligator mothers.  Maybe we did learn our mothering skills in the swamp.

So, I will continue decorating the swamp and maybe dressing up Lulu - in a hoop skirt...

I like your project idea. It makes the students slow down and observe themselves.  Next step is to expand awareness and  apply learning to other situations!

Still not making a lot of progress on my list of five things I love about Christmas.  I am working long days, though.  And my grandchildren generously shared the latest bug making the rounds.  So I have a sore throat, congestion, swollen glands.  Somehow my brain seems oxygen deprived and I can't think as clearly as usual!

I really can't decide what my favorite carol is.  Mostly because I don't have a long list to choose from.  I have always liked I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.  Sometimes I just listen to the jazz music played during the Charlie Brown Christmas.

The little ones will be here again next weekend, I think.  We are going to cut snowflakes and make cookies.  Maybe I'll remember something else I love about the season.

Reading that your youngest said he loved me evoked a big smile.  What exactly prompted that response.  And of course - love back!!

Love and hugs to all,

Clare

Just started thinking about writing a children's book about Lulu in the swamp, trying to understand Christmas...


No comments:

Post a Comment