Saturday, November 23, 2013

whinywhinywhiny

It is cold and grey and windy and even snowing a bit.  I am tired.  Thanksgiving is coming, and usually it is my favorite holiday of the year.  But this year, I may have to fight my inner demons to find that warm and grateful place.

I can't seem to catch up, and I am complaining and maybe I should just shut up...

When I was young, I don't remember if I had a favorite holiday.  I can't remember when Thanksgiving crept into first place.  Maybe after the mantle passed to me, and I became the matriarch.  When we did it my mother-in-law's way, the table was perfect and she slaved for days making every dish perfect.  And she always did a fantastic job.  Our job was to show up at the appointed time, dressed in our best, with shiny, quiet children and be on our best behavior.  She loved a formal celebration.  It was nice, but I always felt on edge.

Now we wear jeans and all come to my house.  We all bring ingredients and spend the day cooking together, and singing or playing cards while we wait for everything to cook.  It is so relaxing and we are just together.  And for that, I am truly grateful.

But Thanksgiving begins the rush into Christmas, which has become the holiday I just want to survive and get through.

I wonder if I can work on my attitude this year,,,

Enough of my whining...Not sure where you are, but I hope all is well and that you are enjoying the weekend.

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment