Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Almost the holiday

Tonight we clean the kitchen, then we make a mess!  We are going to make Grandma's rye bread, a pumpkin pie, a gluten-free pumpkin cheesecake and the cranberry sauce tonight.  My oldest has called in a few times making sure the menu is coordinated.  I like the chaos and confusion and contact.  Tomorrow we will start the turkey, then after everyone arrives, we will work on vegetables.  My youngest actually asked for Brussel's sprouts!  Usually I am the lone fan of this vegetable.

I had a long conversation with someone who had just attended a two day workshop on emotional intelligence.  The leader said that all of our professional problems stem from our childhood!  Those of us who were raised without praise, and were compared negatively to others- we apologize for everything,  Bingo!  Don't roll your eyes, but I am going to own this one too!  Mostly, I thought it was an interesting way to think about managerial skills.

I remember your brother-in-law well.  It has been years since I have seen or heard anything about them.  I met his wife a few times, but really don't know their kids.  I liked you story - and think it's wonderful to have memories full of laughter.

My house is full of dogs for the holiday.  Two of my friends need a place for their dogs to stay while they travel.  The dynamics are interesting.  My little Emmy has shown that she will stand up for herself.  She is definitely getting bold.  The day after Thanksgiving, my house will fill up with kids.  S#3 and her son and her 3 grandchildren will come.  Then a friend of my daughter's will come with one of her little boys.  On Saturday, my grandchildren are coming for an overnight.  And one of the dog-owner's will come and hang out for a while with her 4-year-old.  I love the chaos and connection.

So, little sister - what are you thankful for?  I saw the most glorious sunset glowing through the evergreens along the driveway.  It sang to my soul!  I am thankful for the beauty that surrounds me.

Love and hugs and such,

Clare

Your son will treasure family holidays when he's older...at least, I'm pretty sure he will.  Just remember how much you love him...that's easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment