Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A day of trauma

Clare,

So today I immersed myself in trauma...
one of my passions...
at least it's one obsession that motivates me to become active.

This afternoon I met with 3 of the domestic violence staff to discuss preventive programs. As each one spoke I got the distinct impression that they were telling me that they have "been there, done that" and there is not enough staff or funding to do it effectively. I suggested that we train school nurses or guidance counselors to deliver the preventive programs so that staff could concentrate on professional education for doctors, nurses, and other service providers. They answered that if they can't guarantee the quality of the message they don't want to do it. While I understand what they are saying, it translates into no prevention or education. They had so many negative answers...I finally told them that at some point they will have to take a leap of faith and trust others with the message. They also want to keep DV services pure, not include bullying or stranger sexual assault or child abuse...I pointed out that maintaining separation is cutting down on the talent and resources available to tackle the big problem of interpersonal violence.

This evening I met with one of my former professors to interview her about an anti-human trafficking advocacy group that she is involved with. It is amazing how parallel the issues of DV and trafficking are...it's about control and power over someone. Now HT involves profit, but still they can be understood better when considered together. I am saddened by the number of people living bound by slavery...in our world, country, state and community. Around here it is sex work and 'mail-order brides' who come over for a great life and end up abused and exploited. There are probably many working in agricultural businesses around here. But I think the saddest fact is that over 50% are children and many of those are runaways. I saw a statistic that said that within 48 hours of a kid running away from home about half are approached by a pimp/trafficker. We have a lost population of adolescents who silently and invisibly work under threat, coercion or abuse. That is heartbreaking.

Anyway, I am writing an article for the January newsletter about human trafficking. And I have collected about 20 pages of notes and have to say it all in 500 words...I am much better at term papers! I hope to get people motivated to lobby for legislation that is proposed right now to toughen the HT laws in PA and also to talk about how the Superbowl is a magnet for traffickers, particularly the sex trade. The game is in NJ this year...maybe some of our PA social workers will cross the bridge and join their efforts.

So how was your day? I hope that it was peaceful and productive.
Love and Light,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment