Saturday, November 23, 2013

On the road...again

I have been traveling...

The memory from 1977 made me quite anxious...I am not sure why, but it seemed all too familiar. See if anything else comes from that memory...good or bad...just see how it develops.

Thanksgiving has been, traditionally, for me a major 'show'...much like your mother-in-law's efforts, I had big expectations from myself of the way that dinner would turn out...I never demanded perfection from my kids, but I did from myself.

I remember one year, before I had kids, S#3 and her family came for Thanksgiving. We lived near the city and took a train into the city to see the parade...got there to see Santa going by...we missed the whole thing. we ran 5 or 6  blocks and saw a portion of the parade and then got back on the train. S#3's kids loved it. We stopped at a pond and they fed ducks and rolled down the hill many times...until we realized they were rolling in goose poop...it was gross. When we got back home her daughter fell asleep under the dining room table so we ate dinner all around her.

This year we are doing Thanksgiving away from home...back in NC at the beach that we like so much. Husband's brother and family are coming and we are going to keep it casual. My daughters and I arrived on the island this evening...it is so peaceful and quiet here...almost eerie. We left last evening, and stayed in Annapolis, MD. Daughter #1 and a friend ran a half marathon, while daughter #2 and I ran/walked a 10K race. We all finished and had a good time. we had a 7.5 hour drive to the island...which was punctuated with several painful and stiff stops. It's amazing how much your body complains when asked to do more than usual.

So this year is an opportunity to establish new traditions...to let go of painful memories, stress, and expectations and just enjoy life and family.

I am tired, and heading to bed.
I will check in tomorrow, after a good nights sleep.
Love and Light,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment