Saturday, November 16, 2013

Casted

How was Hawk Mountain?  Did everyone love it?  What's most important is that you enjoyed yourself, even for a little while.

About the gift giving, I think part of the gift-giving-ritual is to offer the return gift of delight and acceptance.  It's a loving exchange.  I think what haunts me was the way his expression changed from "Isn't that cool?  Look what I found for you!!" to "Screwed up again."  I blocked the joy.  I didn't understand the whole process, the flow of the exchange.  The change in expression - that's where the "What is wrong with me?" comes from.  But, yes, I wasn't as rude and hurtful as some people can be.

You may be playing devil's advocate, but that voice is coming from a place of competition.  One person is more valuable than another.  I know of a small city that has created their own currency.  One bill equals an hour of labor.  All labor is considered equal.  An hour of my time is as valuable as an hour of your time.  I love the cooperation, the humane-ness at the core of this program.

As soon as we start saying - you are worth less because you clean up after me, cook for me, watch my children - because you serve, we show just how competitive we are.

It is the base of the caste system that rules our lives.  I have heard people criticize Gandhi, or express disbelief that such a good man could support or honor the caste system.  But so do we.  We just don't see it or recognize it.  We are blinded by our culture.

Do we have talents and skills and do we develop these skills to serve or to climb into the highest caste possible?  Or do we have these gifts, and opportunities to develop them so that we can serve each other, serve the planet, serve our fellow species?

I am drawn back to thoughts of an activist I know who believes in a gifting society.  Because of her, I can't charge money for herbal healing work I do.  That work is sacred, and I have to keep it out of the realm of competition.  If I didn't have to panic about bills, I would live my whole life that way.

I have a sunny day of housecleaning and being with grandchildren ahead of me.  But I will be thinking about this.  Especially how we treat our military veterans.  What caste do we shove them into?

My brain is whirling...

I love you, Enjoy this beautiful day!

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment