Thursday, November 21, 2013

Connection

I just returned from the university library...

I confronted 7 students about cheating on their exam. It was an online exam, open book, but to be done individually. Well 5 of the seven opened and closed the exam within a minute of the others, from the same wireless hub, and had the same questions wrong with the same wrong choices. The other 2 opened the test within 5 minutes of their finishing and answered 28 multiple choice questions in less than 15 minutes...with the same wrong answers. But they didn't see anything wrong with sharing/comparing answers...or giving answers to the final 2.
I gave them two options: take a zero or retake the exam right then and there. So they all sat and took it. It will be interesting to grade them.

I wonder why I am so passionate about integrity and honesty...
I've been told to relax, accept the inevitable...
but I cannot let things slide...
it makes me sick inside to consider looking the other way in the face of dishonesty.

I told them how disappointed I was.
I don't think I will offer online exams ever again.
It's more convenient for all, but it is too tempting to cheat.

I find that what you say about knowing is true...once you understand what is happening it is impossible to not think about it at certain times. I read about trafficking humans last year and have wondered if my purchases are from slaves' suffering. I feel like Woolman...considering everything that I buy...wondering if it is attached to suffering and abuse.
Sometimes I wish I had a simpler brain...one that did not consider so many things at once.

I stopped by the shelter this morning...we are cooking a feast for the residents tonight...I had to put the turkey into the oven. As I was finishing up and older woman came into the room and we started to talk. She asked what I was doing...and thanked me for the gesture and kindness. She had tears in her eyes...and assured me that she wasn't sad. What was really amazing was that she locked eyes with me, and I felt her gratitude. You know how most people won't look you in the eye? Well she made contact...and then she told me that I have a nice smile. I invited her to join the dinner, she said that she doesn't like crowds...but would consider it. I hope that I see her again this afternoon.

I could feel her gratitude...it was visceral...an incredible feeling.
I am tearing up just thinking about it.
I guess that's what connection feels like.

Love and Light,
Maggie







No comments:

Post a Comment