Sunday, November 24, 2013

imperfection

The miscelebrations, the days that are not perfect, are the special ones we remember.  The perfect Thanksgivings with the perfect dinners and perfect guests blend into a series of flashes/photos of the same old day - I can't remember much.  But the year we were not perfect - those memories we treasure.  The year B#4 deep fried a turkey...it was disgusting, but the kids loved it...the year Mom called before Thanksgiving to apologize for the styrofoam plates she was going to use - knowing I would have my tree-hugger fit when I saw non-recyclable throw away supplies...I think I have always been a pain-in-the-ass!  The year the dog had puppies in the car and we had grilled cheese sandwiches and canned tomato soup for Thanksgiving after making a long drive home.  We made a turkey dinner the next day - when all the ingredients were on sale!!

I was poking at the hand grenade I set inside me, when, psychically, a friend came and tried to remove it, with hands fishing around in my guts - like the Filipino spiritual surgeons.  I am not sure if it is gone or not.  I'll check later, hopefully tonight if I don't fall to sleep immediately tonight.  The friend  does not know of this psychic involvement, and it is so weird, I will never bring it up!

S#3 is bringing her grandkids here next weekend so they can mix with mine and all make Christmas ornaments and cookies and gifts.  Strange holidays - the next generation.  I hope this becomes a tradition.

I have been thinking about the ways we get pulled into tradition.  They seem set.  I have a special way of making sweet potatoes, and my kids insist we make them the way we always have.  I just found a new recipe, and was nixed by consensus.  I was excited by a recipe for twice baked sweet potatoes.  I guess I will have to try the recipe on a non-holiday day.  Yet, last year I found a recipe for a gluten-free pumpkin cheesecake.  Everyone wants it again.  It has already become traditional.

The traditions, the sameness linking through our lives, it's sweet and good.  But sometimes it's like a too-heavy chain.  Sometimes we have to throw the expected out, and do something new.  I think this is the perfect time for you to create a new tradition.  I am glad you are doing it.  I hope you have a chance to think about what you would like Thanksgiving to be like...what are you celebrating?...how would you like to celebrate it?  Then go for it...

I hope you have a lovely week.

I love you,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment