Tuesday, November 12, 2013

stereotypes

I was referring to male/female characteristics to make understanding easier...but, I try to  stay away from stereotypes...they just make life easier to conceptualize.

When I was younger I was very "male" in my attitudes...it's how I got into and through medical school.
I knew that to earn acceptance with my first application I had to be near the top of the class, but definitely had to be the top woman. That was my strategy and that is what I did. I never intentionally sabotaged any of my female colleagues, but I can't say that I offered them a lot of assistance either. When I got to Med school I began to soften...it was a pass/fail system...so as long as you passed your courses you earned the degree...it took a lot of pressure off of me and allowed to relax out of the competitiveness...so much so that I eventually became uncomfortable in that ego-driven, competitive profession...and stepped out...my permanent sabbatical.

I don't think that I am unique. I believe that many people evolve from that survival, competitive type mindset to a more open and softer one. It just happens at different times for different people.

Perhaps we could explain it as the maturing of resilience allowing vulnerability its natural role.

I will research that Texas story...if that's true we need to make a lot of noise against that.

I went to daughter#2's play last evening with my youngest. It is called Danny and the Deep Blue Sea, this is her first directing effort. It was very well done, enough so that my youngest was disturbed by the content...violence and disrespect towards others. It sparked a conversation on the way home about how relationships should not be violent and how important honest communication really is to life.
It was good.

Love and Light,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment