Monday, December 15, 2014

mem'ries

I remember the incident - of you falling through the ice. I remember Mom talking about it at the time, but more importantly, I remember her talking about it later. She said that incident verified her belief in angels.  She believed the young man who pulled you out of the ice and carried you home was an angel sent to save you.

I wonder why she focuses on the sad and negative. I actually don't remember her reminiscing much at all.  I remember some stories, though....Hmmmm, maybe you can ask her some questions at Christmas time.  It might get the sibs remembering some of our generational stuff.

I am not sure what triggered the memory of Walt and Mable.  It is so random and disconnected. Not something I have ever remembered  before.  But for some reason, neighborhood boys spending time in the shop tapped on my brain.

And it came to me that predators can recognize prey.  And it also seemed like being abused again might have triggered what happened when we moved to our next home, when the abuse of you and S#3 seemed to have begun

Then I have to wonder about witch-hunting. Are we going to suspect every friendly adult of being a predator?

I have a Friend, a big, bearded guy who has a calling to work with youth.  And he has faced questions about why he spends time with teens.  Granted, many of the questions came from someone who was abused when young and generally mistrustful in all aspects of life, but once the questions start - they are out there.  They seem to take on a life of their own, feeding on the pervasive fear we live and breathe.

I took time to search for Walt and Mable, and realized they had to be the same age as Dad's parents, or perhaps a little older. I'm not sure what I was looking for, but I did not find it.

Thinking about predator and prey, I am reminded of a story I wrote about an underground railroad moving runaway kids north along the eastern coast, then to the west, where they are mostly sold into sexual slavery.  I interviewed a man working on the issue who talked about the way predators could identify kids who did not feel connected, kids who were not protected.  It frightens me to remember that we were those kids.

My Light for the day...maybe sharing music - Brother Iz, Willie Nelson, Andrea Bocelli - with the baby, who was wearing a tutu. We put a tutu on her purple elephant, and we all danced.  Definitely a Light moment...joyful.

Hugs and kisses to all, and to all a good night!!

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment