Friday, January 2, 2015

Violence annihilated through love

Clare,
Thanks for the Anna information. She feels closer now. I'm always glad to hear there are other singers in the family. It is curious that they would set off for Nebraska at such an advanced age. But I like the spirit of that. I wonder what inspired her and her husband.

My older son has a friend who was beaten on New Years Eve. He went to a party and was being harassed because he was a "dope head". 6 young men attacked him. He has a fractured orbit and facial lacerations. I'm not sure if there is further internal injury, but I saw the picture of his face.
I pray for him and for all of the men involved.
Why does violence have to erupt…everywhere?
Why do we have to take out our aggression…or fear…on those who are different?
I've asked my son to stay clear of the situation…to not take one side over the other…is that wrong?
Should he stand up for his friend?
I've asked him not to retaliate…the young man's brothers are reportedly "taking care of this".
This could have easily been my son. It frightens me.

I am reading Les Miserables. There is a quote that has stayed with me for days now.

The sacred law of Jesus Christ governs our civilization, but it does not, as yet, permeate it; it is said that slavery has disappeared from European civilization. This is a mistake. It still exists; but it weighs only upon the woman, and it is called prostitution. - Victor Hugo

The violence can be annihilated through love…
Love as lived by Jesus of Nazareth.
How do we create a kinder, gentler civilization?
I have tried to love my children in a respectful, kind manner.
I have tried to keep my children from viewing violence, especially senseless violence.
And yet they still see it, talk about it, glorify it.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
That's where my power lies…
Be the change…
It is simple but not easy.

I am sorry for the death of your friend. Despite not seeing him for years, he obviously still remains within your heart. Remember the stories and the way he touched yours and your children's lives. Then he will live on. Who is the third? we will have to wait and see.

I love you Clare. Thanks for being here.
Love and Light,
Maggie




No comments:

Post a Comment