Thursday, January 22, 2015

I don't know

Clare,

So it's all about connection.
That's what we've been saying for several years here.
When we are happy we don't overeat, overindulge, numb ourselves…
when we isolate we do all of the above.
So, how do we create "rat parks" for people?
Schools don't work.
Nursing homes don't work.
Churches don't work.
Perhaps intentional communities where people have common interests and enough diversity to encourage learning and growth.
I don't know.

I shared our favorite TED talk with our nieces yesterday in hopes that they would catch a glimpse of their incredible, inherent value and allow that paradigm shift allowing them to acknowledge their worthiness. I hope they watch it over and over, as we have. Gaining more insight each time they view it.

I have been offered additional hours at my non-profit job. I am going to accept it for a 6 month period and see what else opens for me. They want me 4 days a week, so I'll do counseling one day per week. My friend and I are still proposing an anger management group one evening a week. If that is accepted I will be busy. I think this combination will give me a balance for the next half year…to better make choices. One of my first responsibilities for the non-profit is to put together the conference workshops for next October. It will be interesting trying to find a combination of practical and out-of-the-box topics to keep everyone happy.

I understand the support that is necessary with the natural consequences. I've told both my boys that I will support them always (not financially) but I will not protect them anymore. It's too easy for them to dump problems at my feet and have me devise a way out of the troubles. I'm good at solutions…but that doesn't help them.

Back to making dinner…butternut squash soup and salad.
Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment