Sunday, August 18, 2013

Catching up

Hey Clare,

I survived a 13 hour trip home yesterday. It was rather uneventful, except that we stopped once for gas in NC and went to a gas station out of the 70's.
The pumps were so old, the numbers scrolled through as the gas flowed...
my kids were thrilled...
until they found the bathrooms that hadn't been cleaned since the 70's!
Oh well...makes for a good laugh in the future.
Just a quick catch-up note today. Hopefully tomorrow my brain will re-engage and I will have something meaningful to add.

We continue to have issues with substance use. S#1 took along 2 of his friends with us to the beach. Despite several discussions with them, they smoked and used medications in ways not recommended by the FDA. I am so frustrated with him. He asked for money to get ice cream and spent it on cigarettes and Nyquil. I don't know how to make him understand that each step makes it easier to use more and more dangerous substances. He can't see how chewing tobacco led to smoking which led to alcohol that led to pot  and then to Nyquil which will continue on and on. It's like the old woman who swallowed the fly...

I have thought about asking B#4 to reach out and explain his experience with his sons, in hopes that he might see the pattern...but then I remember that he isn't really comfortable with me.
I wish that I knew someone in recovery who could talk with him...let him see how difficult the road is.

I am still waiting for employment. I have heard nothing from two of the positions that I've interviewed for. The other agency has invited me to be a program facilitator, acting as an independent contractor putting on their presentations. I am not thrilled, but it might be a foothold into the agency.
I am grateful for the time and space that this summer has given to me, but I feel as if I should be constructive. Don't worry, I remember your friend's prediction, I am reminding myself to be patient...and open to possibility.

I am glad that you are having some quiet time to enjoy the summer. I hope that your youngest granddaughter is comfortable again.

Love and Light...
Until tomorrow...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment