Sunday, May 25, 2014

Truth

Clare,
I need you in my life too.

The violence is really a reaction to the violations we've endured.
Our bodies hold onto the memories, even if we lock them away where we believe they are inaccessible…
But they come forth, one way or another.
So many of the people I counsel have been mistreated or neglected as children.
I want to hug them and tell them they are worthy, lovable, likable, and deserve respect and affection.
And many of them I do say those things to…
their reaction is precious…
they look at me as if I am lying…
but I maintain steady eye contact and eventually they see that I am speaking truth…
then tears well up.

It is especially sad that this may be the first time they heard those words.

We are so wounded…
not one of us is truly whole, unless we've done the difficult work of pulling our pieces back together.

I am headed to a wedding of a young woman who I truly admire.
She babysat for me from the time she was 15…
she is smart, beautiful and compassionate.
She graduated dental school last week and is being married today.
It will be a good day to see old friends and catch up.

I love you,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment