Sunday, May 18, 2014

Detached-dad???

The problem with language is the nuance of meaning. The way you describe detachment here, I understand your need, I understand the value.

I think sometimes detachment speaks to me of hermitting - there, I've officially verbified.  Especially of spiritually hermitting.  But detachment, as you describe it reeks of faith, of unconditional love.

I suppose we could stretch meanings and say Dad was detached. But I think compared to your definition of detachment, well, Dad was too full of anger, of regret, maybe that he had to put up with us.  Not regret, that's too adult.  He was like a child who was mad that we wrecked his life and he just wanted us gone as soon as possible.  That was not detached, by any definition I can conjure.

I'm glad you've invited Friends into your life.  It will be good.

I spent a lot of time gardening today, too.  And since I have taken next Monday off, I will be at it all week- I hope.

When I step outside, I feel the power of the plants.  I don't want to come back inside.

My oldest son and his wife seem to be in a quiet period.  Things seem to be relatively calm. Her mom is going to visit in about a month, and that always seems to help.  Then I am planning to go in August.  I am still waiting for things to fall in place for that...my ex is involved, and so I am waiting and not able to push things forward.  I just have to trust. 

I try to talk to them regularly, partly because I enjoy talking to both of them so much.  But also to try and keep tabs on what is happening.  My son is homesick, and wants to come back east.  They are waiting for way to open.

Everyone seems to be in a period of calm.  Part of me is relaxed, part of me is waiting for something to happen...not very detached!

I love you, rest well,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment