Saturday, May 10, 2014

Hermitting - is that a real word?

Thinking about you and your busy weekend.  Hope you're having fun.

It is beautiful here this morning.  My youngest's schedule changed and now I have the baby all day Saturday, with Sunday's off.  And there are so many things I won't do today...two memorial services, a leak fest, a talk at the Buddhist retreat center.  But I will get to work in the garden, and hang out and bond with baby.  Life is always good!

A Friend in my meeting had some health problems and impending life changes.  She needed to scale back her work at meeting.  And so I have assumed her clerkship of RE.  Between my two meetings,  I served on RE for about 21 years.  It took a great effort to get off that committee.  But I'm back!  It's probably time. I think I have gotten past my attitude of - "that's not how we do it."  I seem to be drawn to youth work - in all levels of the hierarchy.  I also serve on regional (quarterly) youth committee.  But I was talking to a long-time f/Friend who is on our regional Nominating Committee and we ended up discussing region M&C.

I am being led, I think, to this committee.  But more importantly, I have the sense that Friends are gently leading me from my several years of hermitting.  I wonder if I have learned my lesson. I don't know what the lesson is...

Balance.

I like to serve.

I love this community.

The time for hermits has passed. Now is the age of activists, of taking what we learned as hermits and bringing it into the world.

My oldest sent me a birthday message thanking me for many things, but she added activist.  My activism formed her and made her who she is, she told me.

I've gotten so caught up in financial survival, I don't think I have been a very good activist.  I can afford rent, food, utilities - but not a car.  That's life in the US.  And so rather than sink by trying to support a car - which I see so many in poverty do around here - I go without and rely on others to help me when needed and to find ways to support them in return. So, going without a car builds community. 

Still I long for that all-American freedom to just pop in the car and go where I want.

With the upcoming changes, that will probably not be possible.  Those of us who have learned to be homebound may adapt a bit easier.  Maybe...

One of my roles in life,  is it an archetype? - seems to be canary in the coal mine!

So, this will probably be a pensive, pondering day.  It's probably because I have been eating a lot of vegetables.  It's only been four days, so maybe it's not time for applause and bows, but my diet has been sugar-free and meat-free.  My body is adjusting...

Oh gosh, I can't wait to see your pilot...this is so exciting!!

I love you, I hope you feel fantastic, I hope you laugh with abandon.

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment