Thursday, February 7, 2013

Swamp/Cesspool - it's all the same

Value resiliency and not just brokenness.
There was a time when I was young where I felt damaged and I pretty much only identified with people I thought were as messed up as I was. Because they would understand and not judge me. But at some point, I decided to focus on people who are trying to deal with the junk in their trunk and are trying to make things better. Sometimes it takes a really long to time to do that, I think. And notice, I didn't say succeed -- I said try. That's the thing about going through shit in your life. You have to try and wade through it because the alternative is just to stand there, neck-deep in feces. There was a time when I could stand by the people who wouldn't even try to fight their way out, but I can't now. Because I don't want to get sucked in. Now I have priorities. Besides, it's really not your job to fix people. It's your job to love them while they fix themselves.


From:  A Letter to My Kids Because I'm 40 and That's Old    - Julianna W. Miner

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julianna-w-miner/a-letter-to-my-kids-because-im-40-and-thats-old_b_2630846.html)

 

My eldest sent me a blog post today, and this paragraph jumped out at me.  She's talking about the swamp.  And the weird feeling I had after reading this, was that it might be warm to stand there.  And walking out is going to be chilling, and it's going to smell awful, and the weight of the crap is going to be hard to carry.  But once out of the cesspool - we can rinse in clear water, shake ourselves off and dry in the sunshine for a little while. We regain strength and explore the healthy, loving, accepting world around us that we can only dream about now.

One line I would add to the end...It's your job to lead the way! 

Hope all is well, 

Love from Clare



No comments:

Post a Comment