Tuesday, February 12, 2013

some of the best things happen out of my comfort zone

I like the idea of communicating others' stories of abuse and dysfunction...
but I am not sure that I like it because it keeps my/our stories secret and protected.
I keep thinking of Oprah and Maya Angelou who told their stories...released the power that they held over them...and have been able to focus their voices on shining the light into those dark corners.

I am not sure how to go about developing a book...
I am intrigued by your thought process though...
I realized today that I teach my students to outline, plan, write, revise, revise, revise...
and yet I didn't follow my own guidance.
I am going to restructure my manuscript with focus and the intention of making it relevant for social work and see where that takes me.

My kids have had a similar reaction to your daughter's...
they have heard my words, "I was abused"...
but none wants to know details...
that's OK because the line of communication is open and when they are ready I will share honestly.

I am overwhelmed, and a little panicked, because I went away this weekend and am not as "on top of" my class-work as usual. I am playing catch up and realize how uncomfortable it is for me to be in this position.

I seem to be living just on the edge of my comfort zone...but good things have historically happened when I am courageous enough to step outside.

May will be here soon.

You are right...I did and do berate myself instead of just realizing that writing is not my forte'. I need to develop the skills necessary to write effectively...not give up and assume that I am unworthy of communicating through published articles.

I am presenting another 3 hour continuing education program next week...The Ethics of Female Reproductive Rights. I am presenting the biology of the reproductive cycle, contraception, etc. and the public policies affecting the access to reproductive health care. I am really looking forward to doing it. I think it's going to be interesting...

Love and Light...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment