Sunday, February 17, 2013

some random thoughts today

I went to Meeting today...it was a good experience.
One man read an essay by a young Swedish Quaker. He put into words very simply what I have felt for years.  He said that he was drawn to Quakerism because of the balance between introverted mysticism and extroverted activism. That's what drew me and what keeps me in my spiritual home.
I spoke...I don't speak very often...I spoke of those who are gathering in Washington DC today to nonviolently protest the XL Pipeline and ask for more protections for our environment. I wanted to go to DC today...I even asked students if they wanted to go with me...but, I didn't...not sure what stopped me...but I have been with them in spirit today...and I am holding our legislators in the Light that they might step beyond their special interests and PACs and hear what the people are saying...pay attention please.

I have been reading the Gospel of Mary Magdalene again. I love to read it...and the explanations by LeLoup. He describes the beatitudes...and offers an alternative translation to the "Blessed are the...".
He suggests that the same word can be translated as "walk forth". That the beatitudes are a call to action, not a passive blessing. He specifically writes, "Walk forth, you who weep, for you shall be consoled"...he goes on to explain, " To mourn authentically is to accept that what is past is past, an indispensable condition for going further. This does not mean we should refrain from tears or other emotions, but that we are not to indulge in them. It means to pass through them, walking forth toward a higher serenity and more sensitive maturity." 

To me this passage explains or summarizes our journey we are walking through the emotions...one by one...painfully beginning to feel and process them. But we are moving forward...not just stagnantly waiting for a miracle or life to end. Our desire to feel and regain wholeness and health pushes us forward on this quest...this path that we are traveling. We are moving...that means we are alive.

There is another short passage that took my breath away...because it describes my faith.
Be vigilant, and allow no one to mislead you by saying:
"Here it is!" or 
"There it is!"
For it is within you
that the Son of Man dwells.
Go to him,
for those who seek him, 
Find him.

I want to watch the TED talk that you suggested, I just haven't gotten to that yet.

Peace and Blessings,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment