Monday, October 15, 2012

Swampy

I went for a hike.  I saw a small pond which is becoming a swamp and a swamp that is becoming dry land.   I was gifted with lots of images to play with.

- I noticed that the swamp is surrounded by higher land, which holds the wet in and oversaturates the area.
- I noticed that there are certain plants that scream swamp/wetland to me.
- I noticed that nothing tall grows in the wetland.   

Emotions are water, if you look at traditional symbolism.  If we are Earth/our bodies are Earth,  the water/emotions keep us clean. Think of cleansing tears.  If we are inside our walls, the water/emotion stands and dissolves the physical self, it lessens the variety of life around us, it obscures the safe places to stand.  When the water/emotions can flow, we are connected by the flow which continues forever.  The water is clean and it supports such a wide variety of life...

The plants that let me know the land is wet are eupatoriums, cat tail, sedges, rushes, sensitive fern.  I wonder if this relates to the way damaged people can find each other. People who are healthy are outside of my scope.  I notice and respond to people who understand drama and the swirling mess.  Calm, tidy,well-supported and therefore supportive, prepared for anything - no, I don't do that.        

The pond that is becoming a swamp is being taken over by cat tails.  What were a few decoratively scattered on the edges are now expanded further and further into the center.  I have been told that there is a natural spring feeding the pond.  Maybe the spring is blocked or has been rerouted.  There is less fresh water, less movement/less flow and so we have a swamp.  The swamp that seems to be disappearing is definitely swampier in the spring.  But now, in mid-autumn, it is soft, but not so soft that I sink at all.  And it is full of goldenrod.  Goldenrod is warm and spicy.  It's a crone's herb.  I think perhaps goldenrod should be my torch.

I waded through the weeds and emerged covered in cockleburs - which are agrimony seeds.  Agrimony has been one of my best healers.  It reminded my to release tension.  It also inspired me to think about the way I watch life from the edges.  Agrimony is an edgekeeper...

I also came home and found a tick.  I thought that Saturday's killing frost meant no more bugs, especially ticks.  I found one on my arm and freaked out just a bit.  I stripped into the washer and poured on the soap and started the cycle. And now, every time I feel a strand of hair touch my skin, I jump and check to make sure there are no little bloodsuckers hoping to dine on me.         

So, tonight I will try to go through the swamp again.  I'll see if my walk has opened my perceptions enough to have a clue about what I am doing!

Love from Clare

Maybe I'm not quite done.  Many of the herbs that grow in swampy areas heal kidneys.  In Chinese facial diagnosis, dark baggy circles under the eyes help diagnose kidney weakness or kidney disease.  Grandma always had that, and I have it to.  According to one source tinnitus can also relate to kidney disease.  I was taught that high pitched ringing can indicate kidney weakness.  I have had that all of my life. 

And according to Chinese theory of medicine:

Chinese medicine believes that the Kidney encompasses our whole genetic makeup, providing the human body with the vital substance of its being at birth. This Essence is acquired from parents, determines a person's constitutional strength and vitality, and is supported through life with proper nutrition and lifestyle.
(http://www.acupuncture-services.com/basic-theory/chinese-medicine-diagnosis/the-kidney-in-chinese-medicine.php)

I think Grandma spent her life in the swamp. I think I am back to relating to her...maybe there is something more to learn from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment