Thursday, October 11, 2012

Optical delusions

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us a universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest … a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
-Albert Einstein



 When I read messages like what Einstein said above, I think we are not alone in our pain and loneliness and fearfulness.  Funny that I feel connected only when reveling in our total disconnect!  A bit of the insanity of our lives.  But it is a prison. Not only are we lover and beloved, but we are also inmate and jailer.

Okay, so I can see the vultures and the flowers are part of my family.  I do have compassion.  I also have compassion for humans.  I just don't have compassion for myself.  I always come back to that.  I guess the enemy really is within.

I said I thought I should start a daily journal, noting what is divine in me.  I bought a notebook,  I took it upstairs, because I always do things like that before I sleep.  And as a writer, I love the promise of an untouched notebook!  But I have not been able to write the first words,  I guess I will have to force myself to do it...lovingly force myself to do it.

 So I would refinish Albert's sentiment by adding - widening our circle of compassion...then stepping inside of it.


John Lennon does have the rest of this for me, for today... 

There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life.
-John Lennon

I would note, logically, if there is not love, then there is fear........

I'm being lazy today and relying on the words of two of my heroes.  I am beginning to feel like I am coming down with something, so I think I will keep this short, and very lovingly go to bed earlier than usual, and allow my body to heal.

Lobe you! (to quote another of my favorite guys - my grandson)

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment