Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Just put one foot in front of the other...

So, as far as fearing that you might be hung up on...
I am not certain, but looking at the stats I don't see that anyone has accessed us directly from the URL you posted.
I shared the URL with another person and I could tell when the blog was directly accessed by the addresses listed in the stats.
Their apparent lack of interest really intrigues me.
Do they think we are so screwed up that it isn't worth their time?
Are they afraid of what might be here?
They can access it anonymously...I don't think that we are planning on tracking any one's activity.
It would be nice to be taken seriously.

I spent my day at a "self care" conference. Telling us to reflect and cultivate self awareness, rest, exercise, eat well, etc. One woman was fabulous, she spoke of volunteering...going outside of your needs and responsibilities and doing something for another. She quoted someone saying that you can be "active or passive", it is your choice...she suggested active. I believe that our blog is an active process...we are sharing and clarifying...we are moving forward...not exactly in step with each other, but still journeying together...supporting each other at a time of vulnerability.

I picked up another very poignant quote today, from a woman who works with cancer patients...but the words are applicable to abuse survivors as well,
Suffering is not a question which demands an answer,
not a problem which demands a solution,
it is a mystery which demands presence.
                                        Anonymous
So your presence, with me throughout the spring and summer, throughout my chaos and crises, through my ups and downs...is a mystery...and a grace...I thank you.

I am glad that you have applied for the manager's position...
I am sure that it is anxiety provoking...but you will never advance if you fail to take the steps.
Do you remember the Christmas cartoon with the song,
"Just put one foot in front of the other, soon you'll be walking cross the floor.
If you put one foot in front of the other, soon you'll be walking out that door".
(sorry that I am borrowing wisdom from a Christmas cartoon)
I have never regretted moving out of my comfort zone and trying something that unnerved me.
Good Luck.

I do know that Brene Brown has a counseling training. I have considered it, but I don't think I am going to counsel when I am finished.
I am really leaning towards teaching and research and potentially writing public policy if I can find the right opportunity.
I am frustrated with the current therapeutic strategies...
identify a problem...fix the problem by changing your way of thinking...and then...back to life.
My opinion is that if you fail to treat the deeper wounds they will manifest in another way in the not too distant future...
BUT...currently it's a quick fix, short-sighted, but cost effective...
I believe that people deserve better...
they aren't Pavlov's dog who can be trained/conditioned and then move on...
humans are more complex that that...
anyway...off my soapbox.
I have to take the boys shopping for Halloween costumes...
until tomorrow-
Maggie



No comments:

Post a Comment