Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Stress

So, reflecting on those who have died...
Of course I share most of those memories, but not all.
I have no recollection of Grampa Smoke...

I also remember the animals I have loved...
the animals that I was with when they died...
crying for their passing...
I have even cried at road kill...

I remember my patients who have died...
those who showed up in the ER barely alive...
and those that I knew well and was privileged to be near as they passed.
I remember the young and the old...each with a story to tell...
each mourned in a unique way.

I used to sing for funerals at the Catholic Church...
usually for strangers...
some with huge crowds...some with only one or two to witness their ceremony...
no matter...each one made me feel closer to the Spirit...

I spent my day researching the effects of stress hormones on the body...
developing a talk about the need for primary prevention of abuse and neglect...
It makes me sick to think that so many live only partially alive...
blocking their innermost self in order to protect it.
And yet we respond to the symptoms...
wasting time and money and personnel treating symptoms without investing in prevention...
teaching respect...
seeing that of God in all beings...

It is a start...
the beginning of Me Too...
the beginning of educating and raising awareness...
I will follow the lead after that.

Happy Halloween,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment