Sunday, October 28, 2012

Coincidental Messages

She walks to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holding back
Wearing the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides the bruises with the linen and lace, oh

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask
It's hard to see the pain behind the mask
Bearing the burden of a secret storm
Sometimes she wishes she was never born

Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place
Where she's loved concrete angel   (Concrete Angel, recorded by Martina McBride)

I went to a concert on Friday evening, Martina McBride...
she sang this song...and several others raising awareness about abuse...
She got a standing ovation...
I am struck by the line in the lyrics about "it's hard to see the pain behind the mask"...
I wore a mask for many years...I probably still do to some extent...although I am trying to be authentic.
I guess, in keeping with yesterday's post, I am rewriting that part of my story...that the mask was necessary for a period of time to protect myself...now I no longer need it...I am ready to be seen...to be heard...to be understood...and to be rejected if necessary.

This morning in Meeting for Worship a woman spoke of mosaics...
she said that by placing broken pieces together into a beautiful piece to create the mosaic you let in more Light...it is "beauty in the brokenness".
I am so grateful for the breaking down of the wall that I have erected and secured in the past...it isn't totally demolished...but, like the mosaic, it has enough cracks that it allows Light to penetrate...
No longer afraid to be seen and known...

I love it when people say things that feel as if they are meant precisely for me...I love being the recipient of coincidental messages...it feels powerful.

I am settling in for this storm...everything has been cancelled for tomorrow...a rare, unplanned day off...I love the possibilities of what I can do with unscheduled time...I pray that this storm is not as devastating as they are predicting...pray for safety...
I may lose power or internet...if you don't hear from me just trust that I will be back as soon as it is restored...
Stay safe and dry,
Maggie






No comments:

Post a Comment