Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pondering

Clare,

I hope that you can bypass this illness. It's never fun getting sick and having responsibility.

I am almost at the end of the semester…
every time there are several students who ask for special consideration…
a pass when their grades and effort don't reflect any commitment to the work.
I had such an email last evening.
A student claiming chronic insomnia keeps her from attending my 9 am class…
and not submitting 3 assignments/exams out of 5.
I composed an email explaining that her choices have natural consequences…
her failure to wake up, come to class, and do work has natural consequences…
failure for the course.

I don't get it…
why enroll in college if you don't want to do work…
read, write, compose, research…
push yourself intellectually?
Why bother at all?
There are jobs to start out at.
There are trade schools that are more hands on.
Not everyone is meant to go to college…
but it's the next logical step from adolescence to adulthood.
But they are wasting time, money, and energy…
as well as natural talent, gifts, potential…

I invited my young man to Thanksgiving dinner…
the one I've offered to foster...
he said he has no where to go…
the father's family aren't offering to have them over...
he and his brother will stay at the group home…
so I invited them over.
He was so happy.
I have to work on clearances now to be able to bring him here.
I'm excited.

A book on healing…
a NPO Healing Hearts...
do I know enough?
It could be very interesting to explore.
I'm feeling scared, so it must be on the right track.

Off to our final football game of the season. I will miss watching my youngest play, but the running around will be less demanding…
I hope.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment