Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Good call, Mama

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gretchen-kelly/the-thing-all-women-do-you-dont-know-about_b_8630416.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000046

Hi Maggie,

Have you read the blog post above?  I expect it will get to you.  I just finished reading it, and my heart is racing.  As I was reading, so many memories flashed through my mind...the guys at work called me the Head Hogan because I had the largest breasts. I had to laugh with them, although I really felt ashamed.  My boss in high school, while I was waitressing at his restaurant, pulling down the zipper of my uniform as I went by with a hot plate in each hand.  Having some guy pass me on the street and call me a cunt.   Having guys I said hi to, expecting that I wanted to go out with them, not taking no for an answer.  Cat calls from construction sights.  Humiliating cat calls...Our brothers' total disrespect for out privacy...

It all made me angry.  Perhaps I never realized I could be angry.

And now I am invisible.  And I wish I weren't.  But it's better than being on edge, ready to be assaulted verbally or physically all the time...

Yeah.

When I read your Isaac Pennington quote last evening, it didn't speak to me.  I thought the  God-i-ness was too much, and the old language didn't pull me in. I reread it again this morning, and liked it a lot more.  Obviously I processed something in my sleep! 

Have you made the final decision?

You know, the red flag of getting up alone to get high also called out to me. Good call, Mama.

And I really love your observation that addiction is the symptom.  Everything makes more sense when you step back and look at the big picture. 

I am absolutely in favor of legalizing marijuana.  I know that what will happen is the same as what happened when alcohol was legalized.  MADD developed, and created authentic limits to drinking.  I think it has been taken too far now.  I think the constant lowering of the BAC levels is not to keep us all safe, but to make more money from fines, etc.  I have the sense that DUI has become a profitable business. When movement comes from the people, it works.  As soon as the authorities take over, it becomes financially motivated,  or maybe fear vs, power motivated.

Having fun planning Thanksgiving dinner.  I really like cooking, and I like stretching the tradition...using traditional foods, but in new ways.  One more day of work, then I have four whole days in a row.  I am looking forward to it!

Hope all is well...

Love and hugs from Clare


No comments:

Post a Comment