Monday, January 28, 2013

History cannot be unlived, but with courage need not be lived again

What a situation...
I am sorry for your daughter, for the father and for you...
but mostly, as you've pointed out...I am sorry for the baby.
Your daughter has control while the baby is still inside...
but unfortunately, once its born, the father gets equal control.
States have begun to take violent behaviors into consideration in custody cases (PA started in 2010 I think)...
but she has to document abuse by reporting the stalking or threats or physical abuse, coercion, etc. S#3's daughter did not get a PFA because she never reported and abuse prior to the request.

I have been spending alot of time thinking about violence and domestic violence...
both of my classes have me working on developing a primary prevention program for domestic violence...it just seems to be too high a hurdle to succeed...
but then, listening to the TED talk, it is simply a matter of speaking out...
educating...
uncovering the secrets...
giving voices back to the victims...
and ultimately teaching respect to both sexes so they don't have these power struggles...
and try to control each other.
It's all about power and control.

I read a poem today that hit me...
On the Pulse of the Morning by Maya Angelou

(this is only part of it)
...You, the Turk, the Arab, the Swede,
The German, the Eskimo, the Scot,
The Italian, the Hungarian, the Pole,
You the Ashanti, the Yoruba, the Kru,
Bought, Sold, Stolen, arriving on a nightmare
Praying for a dream.
Here, root yourself beside me...
Lift up your faces, you have a piercing need
For this bright morning dawning for you.
History, despite its wrenching pain,
Cannot be unlived, but if faced
With courage, need not be lived again.
Lift up your eyes
Upon this day breaking for you.
Give birth again
To the dream.

we need to speak the truth of the past abuses...
societal and personal...
to avoid living them over and over again.

I've had a dream ever since I visited the woman last week...
I dream that I find myself in a neighboring state (her home state) with only a bicycle, so I ride all the way home...I've ridden my bike 3 different nights so far...
I wonder what that means?


No comments:

Post a Comment