Friday, January 18, 2013

Alive!

I love when the universe presents a piece that fits.  I read something that hit me today, something that fit with what I have been going on and on about for the last couple of days.

For Christmas my youngest son gave me a copy of The Old Farmer's Almanac Millenium Primer. I keep it in the bathroom...Today in the Fellow Creatures section I was reading an essay entitled Solving the Evolution Riddle Once and For All by Guy Murchie.  I stumbled on the following passage which stopped me in my tracks...

For many rocks actually do grow, if very slowly.  And they get around, eat in a manner of speaking, get ill (yet not without some capacity to heal their wounds), and even bear offspring through their own simple system of reproduction.  Rocks are crystals, you see, and it is the nature of a crystal to maintain its molecular lattice structure, to restore any distortion, to gradually fill up any crack (in effect healing the wound), and to grow by natural tendency of passing molecules made of similar material to attach themselves to the crystals microscopic crevices, into which they exactly fit.  The receptivity of these "friendly" molecules indeed amounts to an elementary attraction that, chemically speaking, approaches what could be termed "love".

We have been talking about everything being alive, everyone of us being related.  And again, even rocks are in love with creation - and theirs is probably the most enduring love!

Love from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment