Sunday, June 22, 2014

feeling protected

Good morning,

My day was long and busy yesterday, which is why I never got here. Kids and grandkids are still sleeping, so I have a few quiet moments.

A dear friend of  mine fought a rare cancer a few years ago. She also noticed the companion feeling. In fact she named it and dialoged with it, talked to it about why it had to go and in the end became forceful with it, making it go. She is still here, gardening and sharing wisdom.

It made me think of the old Irish adage:  Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.  You and cancer are cohabitating somewhat peacefully now.  Once it has left the premises, something else, something light and healing will fill that void, I suppose.

Yesterday was mid-summer night. I had three grandchildren here. We made a small campfire, toasted marshmallows, chased fireflies, and ran around the yard with sparklers. Because two of them have a mom who is really careful about bedtimes, we realized my grandson had never seen fireflies before.  He held one in his hand, carefully. It was magic.  Then he barreled around in the dark trying to catch another. Explains why they are both still sleeping!

Over twenty years ago I knew a Celtic priestess who led some weekend gatherings to talk about the old ways of believing.  She taught one thing that stays with me. Solstices and equinoxes are the midpoints of each season.  So summer actually began on May 1.  Autumn begins on August 1.  I have noticed that this feels right, it makes sense.  Last night, it seemed like I could feel autumn coming. I started thinking about canning and firewood.

I remember another thing from those weekends.  We would have men's camp and women's camp.  It was all a bit theatrical, but points were made. At one point something happened...someone was coming, or something. I don;t remember.  All of the young mothers were gathered and everyone stood around them. The leader explained that in past times, mothers were considered the most important people - they were providing the next generation,  It was the first time I had ever been protected. I remember being confused and shocked.

I recently watched a video for BACA - Bikers Against Child Abuse.  In one scene, a child is having a nightmare, can't sleep. He looks out of his bedroom window and sees several bikers standing in the driveway, protecting the house. He goes to sleep. I had the same feeling. All teary about the possibility of being protected.

The first of the cherubs has awoken and is waiting for Mima attention.  I hope you have a lovely day.

Hugs and smiles and peace and love from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment