Thursday, March 27, 2014

Volcano the venom

I remember getting very angry at Mom because she just didn't "get" what I wanted.  Your son is angry about something, or because of something, and you are the safe place to vent.  We always spill our rage on those who will love us afterwards.  And during rage, we can't listen, we can't respond, we can't be rational and hear ourselves. We can only volcano our venom.  I speak from experience.

But while it is okay to be frustrated and angry, it is not okay to scream at you or call you names. You deserve to be treated decently, especially in your own home, own car.  Home is sanctuary - not for anger, but for our souls.  I used to tell my kids that they could hate my bloody guts if they wanted to, but they were going to fake it and treat me with respect.  Inside their heads they could call me anything they liked...and we could talk about things, and be furious with each other...but respectfully.

Do you think he needs to see someone too? I know you were trying to get the older one to agree to counseling.  I wonder if the two of them are feeding off of each other.

The flowers taught me something about balance once.  Perfect, sustained balance is death.  We always have to be moving, to be jostling, to be maintaining.  Professionally, things are going well, and so there almost has to be domestic unrest to remind you to keep your balance...

How did he do with his father, later when he was picked up?

We saw some big-ol' turtles.  They are also ancient.  So, there will be a next time???  That's something to dream about!  I was wondering if I could get the two of you up here sometime this summer, maybe - for a continuation of the work we are doing together, and to add that element of fun and laughter.

I never started potting last night. But today the sun is shining, the temperature is supposed to go above freezing.  Maybe today will be the day I get it done!  I am so looking forward to gardening this year.  I hope the baby will be independent enough to give me time to get in the dirt.  I want to be outside, barefoot so much. 

Dreaming of spring, and especially of daffodils!

Love from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment