Saturday, March 29, 2014

Godliness

Long day for me.  I made bread all afternoon, then we had a contradance at meeting house. We pay the band and caller with fresh baked bread.  So I have been on my feet all day.

A friend brought me home. It is foggy and pouring rain.  It seemed like some of the road edges were washing out.  It was scary.  And to night it will turn over to ice and sleet and snow and back to ice. 

Thinking about the Old Testament God.  That angry irrational father who loves you infinitely, but drowns a whole society.  He is generally not very god-like, and not even a godparent.  And we are raised to honor and worship this father figure.

I think something translates. I think we transfer that same power and awe to our physical parents.  It is sort of trained into us as part of our religious education.  And  when our parent-gods do something neglectful, hurtful, mean or worse, we believe god is doing it to us.

I really think their responses burrow deep inside.  They become part of our psyche, of our self-view.

And since it came from God, we spend the rest of our life honorably proving God right.

Does that make sense?

Exhaustedly,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment