Monday, March 3, 2014

On a roll tonight!

I have been so heartfeltly open and happy and proud of the students who have chained themselves to the White House fence, to the Natives who are standing in front of the pipeline, of the "elderly" farmer (my age) who has chained himself to a drilling rig.

I felt so happy, then I read a Native prophecy about the Seventh Generation rising up against the powers.  And it made me feel alive, we are living in the prophecy.  We can see it, we can see the change.

Then I read another prophecy saying that we can't survive unless we thaw our frozen hearts. And I thought about all the work we have been doing here to be authentic and vulnerable.  And I feel whole and happy.

I have been thinking about the environment, about the problems we are having.  I was discussing Germany with someone today, and how cool it is that they have decided to get rid of all nuclear power plants by 2020.  That was bold and forward looking.  But, I didn't know that they have replaced nuclear power with burning peat and coal.  And I was told that the coal comes from the US. So their cutting back on nuclear power plants, reducing the amount of nuclear waste- for which there is no safe storage technique, has increased the "need" or maybe the profit in mountain-top removal.  Who in their right mind ever conceived of using dynamite to blow the tops off of mountains?  And who with any sense at all approved it? It is not sane, it is not conservative, our species does not have the right to do this - to destroy the planet in the search for money - created paper.

From what I understand, solar involves toxic ingredients, wind interferes with bird migration - powers that be refuse to put sensors on the mills - they don't want to know, and they don't want to place their wind farms out of migration lanes. Why spend extra time and money on birds?

I started to wonder if the problem is electricity.  Just like - the problem is definitely our reliance on petroleum.  Maybe there's a better power source than electricity - something that doesn't need dams to interfere with fish spawning,  or nuclear reactions to boil water (the first time I realized  we are using nuclear reactions to boil water, I almost lost my mind!!!), or coal or peat to cause acid rain, dirty air and decapitated mountains, or wind mills that kill migrating birds. 

I also get furious with the constant message - we need more electricity.  We are never asked to consider our consumption, and only use what we need...never...

On a roll - but feeling like the good hearts are rising. I hope I am one of them...

Love you,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment