Thursday, March 13, 2014

snow Snow SNOW

We ended up getting almost 9 inches of snow. And lots of cold, cold wind.  I am so tired of winter!  Tomorrow, though, is supposed to be warm again.  I agreed to have my granddaughter with me tomorrow, and then time with my grandson and his daddy on Saturday.  Nice.  And on Saturday evening, my three friends I try to meet regularly will be here for dinner.

Nice events lining up before me!

You mentioned Joan of Arc and I suddenly started seeing your religious evolution.  You went from identifying with dying for the church to leaving the church because you asked too many questions....

I have been thinking about forgiveness. I looked for the etymology of the word forgive.  It means to give up, to give away, to give completely with no reservations.  A definition that came from this etymology is: to give up desire or power to punish.

Before we went to the island, while we were on the island, I was trying to analyze why I have trapped myself with so little. I know it has to do with feeling unworthy.  I have not forgiven myself. I can forgive most others...although I do honestly harbor some resentment towards my ex and our dad.  It is lessening. But I stroke and nurture, feed and coddle my resentment towards myself.

I have not wanted to give this up.  But now, I am looking at it, trying to shine the light in those dark places where I hate myself. where I berate myself, where I hold grudges against myself.  And I am trying to develop compassion for me.

So much of my life has seemed a struggle. And because of it, I have developed compassion.  I think I am compassionate, although I am not terribly outwardly gushy and loving. And when I am out of balance I have to struggle to stop and listen, to notice people.  But I do feel compassionate and forgiving and understanding.

How do I turn this light of compassion on myself, and feel I am worthy?

I think when your parents can't love you, you have to think there is something bad about you.  It is the only thing that makes sense to a child.  I am bad, I am not worthy of love. I don't deserve.  And so we find ways to punish ourselves to keep the "truth" alive. Because nothing else makes sense.

Now I am trying to release and explain to my self that I agreed to be born into a family that was struggling to release these patterns.  We each have a part to play, and garbage to be hit with. I chose it because I am strong and resilient, and because I wanted to understand.

In the shower today, I understood that the hard, painful, blocked times are what made me compassionate.  I understand others, because we have walked the same path, at least for a short distance.  This mirage, this life - it is powerfully believable!!  This experiential learning is wild.

So I am facing the fact that I have been purposefully refusing to give up the desire to punish myself.  I am still getting something from it - even though it is blocking so much of my life.  I mentioned something about the blocks and your healer friend called me on it with one look.  I had to cover my face and laugh at myself.  There was an authentic moment, when the mask was raised.  But I pulled on my cloak of no-forgiveness-for-me so quickly, I couldn't hold onto myself!!

Thinking, analyzing - because that is what I do...and sending love, because I can!!

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment