Sunday, October 6, 2013

Happy First Day

It seems as if the universe wants you to have companions, four legged companions. You have the ingredients for a shelter there. The story of the dog, tied out, neglected because of his master's depression is very sad. Maybe for a two legged companion you should consider female roommate...you wouldn't be alone and you hopefully wouldn't have the drama of a man.

I have been thinking about poverty and wealth.
I do believe that there is a divide...
a barrier that keeps the wealthy from seeing the poor.
But, some of those barriers are set up by charities.
They keep our efforts to help the poor at a neat and safe distance. Many don't ask for our physical time and labor...only monetary contributions. I honestly think they maintain poverty....strangely for their job security.
This morning in Meeting someone read a quote by Rufus Jones to that effect. He noted that giving money and things to people doesn't help in the long term solution. People need your time, acceptance, wisdom, guidance. He challenged us to get involved in our communities to help the poor, not from a distance or from our checkbook but up close and personal. I remember frustration while practicing Catholicism because charity was something we paid for, but were never involved directly in. I once had an idea that we would purchase inflatable soccer balls and ask people to sign their names. The balls would then be distributed at a sister parish in Uganda, where the schools are so poor there are over 50 kids in a class and there is one ball for the whole school. People could donate to cover the cost of the balls. The priest declined the idea, saying that collecting money for them to use as they saw fit was a preferable way to go. When I went to Quaker Meeting I loved physically helping at Family Promise, Habitat for Humanity, and collecting school supplies for Mennonite Central Committee.

I was at a baby shower today for a friend from my masters program. I sat with a friend who works with disabled individuals. She spoke of getting the disabled out into the communities, in volunteer positions, to allow them to connect socially as well as gain further acceptance. She said it is making a difference, one person at a time.

I think that when we connect...one person to another...our prejudices and fears fall away.  Connection is the key...an individual is no longer stereotyped...they are known for their unique skills and abilities. It is a way of changing stereotypes.

I have been thinking about my inability to show emotion to males....anger or joy. I am not sure I ever let them in that close. I wonder if that is a direct effect of the abuse or if others are the same way. I wonder if being open and vulnerable is a choice that we make...something we all work on.
During lecture the other day I was talking about experiencing a threatening situation and, after it is over and we're safe, ruminating about it. We replay the experience over and over in our heads. It is a survival mechanism that allows us to train our minds to react more quickly the next time we are faced with a similar threat. Well, I asked them, "How many of you replay threatening situations in your head?" No one raised their hands...well, I was feeling quite pathological...maybe I am the only one who does that on a regular basis. So, maybe my emotional constipation is an individual characteristic...not one commonly held by other people in our society.

I am working at a social work conference at the end of this week. I am looking forward to talking with old friends and meeting new people. I may be scarce by the end of the week. I will catch up over the weekend.

Love and Light,
Maggie



No comments:

Post a Comment