Friday, September 21, 2012

Maybe it's time

You did describe Light pouring from your eyes once before.  I think I would have freaked out, just a bit.  But it must be amazing to know you have so much Light inside of you.  There is so much Light it just pours out of your eyes.  I am learning that Light is a powerful tool.  It forms things, but also pervades things - like it is its own container.

Fifty years ago...hmmmmm...I think...maybe...I would still be married, since divorce wasn't nice, and our lives - mine and my kids...well, and my ex -  would be very different.  My kids would be different people than they are.  We would be making the best of hard choices, complaining about life, privately, and smiling publicly.  Our choices, because we are female, would have been limited. 

My daughter's friend was here this afternoon, and we talked about her paper on women and beauty a little more.  We talked a lot about the power of media - and came to the conclusion that marketing anorexia as beautiful is a great way to make money on diet products and beauty supplies. Most of us can never attain what we are taught to accept as beautiful, but we will spend money forever and die trying.   I said something about the maiden - mother - crone and how the maiden was valued because she had the least power, and notice how we all value the maiden and we all strive to be the maiden and the way we keep the maiden young and powerless.  Why do we shave legs and arms pits?  Secondary sexual characteristics indicate adult, mother.  We are unclean unless we remove these physical signs of adulthood.

Then we compared to Honey BooBoo Child - star of a new reality TV show S#3 told me about.  She said it was about a preadolescent beauty queen.  We watched a few clips on youtube, in dismay.  What my young friend and I realized today is that we objectify baby girls by sexualizing them - making them appear to be sexually aware, and we disempower adult women by forcing them to stay in adolescence forever.  No wonder we are all so confused!

I read once that when childhood is a separate time, with separate activities and separate clothing styles, that children were more likely to be respected and protected.  But when children were simply dressed as miniature adults, they were more likely to be abused, especially sexually abused.  This little baby, this 6 year old pageant contestant was wearing a hip hugging mini-skirt with a midriff baring top.  She gyrated her hips as she walked.  Her mother angrily declared that if we see sexy, it is because we are dirty.  But although I saw a caricature of adult behavior, a puppet, an objectified child, a predator is going to see sexy.  That is how a pedophile would justify sexually attacking a child - she wanted it, she knew.  And if he can't have Honey BooBoo, he will attack and violate another child. 

I felt shocked and nauseous.

How's the Brene search?  That would be so exciting!

So maybe it is time to tell the sibs that we have been doing this and ...see what happens next.

Hope you have fun plans for the weekend.

Love you!!!  C.

No comments:

Post a Comment